The world is desperate for a travel memoir about Africa by an African. - Unknown
What happens when a girl from Ethiopia finds herself dreaming of traveling the world?
In particular crossing Africa overland?
What if her secret dream makes her feel isolated and an outcast from her family and community?
This book is about one woman’s roughly one year journey traveling on a budget from Cape Town to Cairo over land. This is my story.
Hitchhiking, using public transit and surfing couches with strangers while facing with the biggest fear of my life, losing my mother to cancer.
In the book I share
• What it was like traveling in African as African and a women solo traveler.
• My mother's breast cancer journey and how it changed my life.
• How being in my thirties — not married and with no children — shocked most of my African hosts and new friends.
• How I almost ended up in jail in Sudan on my birthday.
• And most of all how the kindness of strangers carried me, inspired me through-out my travel.